THEORY IN PRACTICE
THEORY IN PRACTICE: THE PHASES OF TIMBER CONSTRUCTION USING A FULL-SCALE MODEL
The course will be a mixture of practical installation along with theoretical lectures and insights.
The goal is to learn how to build a timber structure in a workmanlike manner, to learn and practice all phases of construction of a timber building, avoiding the most common mistakes on site and during the design phase.
Duration: 16 hours
- Carpenters who want to get a deeper know-how on timber construction, governing well both theory and practice
- Construction companies who want to train their workers through a practical and theoretical course (avoiding or reducing time-consuming training on the construction site)
- Construction foreman and project managers
- Designers who want to touch the timber building site and understand its construction details
To sum up
The course takes place in an area where timber has always been part of the culture. It is quite a unique chance to get a wide knowledge on the theory and practice of a timber building. It consists of 16 hours of applied theory. Each practical moment will be accompanied by a theoretical explanation useful for understanding the construction phases of CLT and glulam (mass timber) structures. In the course you will work on a full-scale model on which you can experiment:
- handling of structural elements
- the realization of hidden connections
- the laying of the membranes
- the laying of tapes and profiles for airtightness
- the correct hygrometric behaviour of the construction
- The waterproofing of the building
Assembly of a section of a timber building, from the foundations to the roof structure. The practical assembly phases are accompanied by theoretical explanations on the advantages of the different connections, the installation method, the resistance, the stiffness, the fire resistance and the ductility, in order to have a wide knowledge on the laying of the structures, the solutions for connections, construction details and construction phases. In particular, the following details will be installed and examined: connection to the ground, pillar bases, hidden connections, hold-down and shear angle brackets, innovative connections.
Conclusion of the full-scale section of the structure: waterproofing, airtightness and wind tightness. Waterproofing of the ground connection with concrete curb or aluminum profile to ensure durability. Theoretical part relating to acoustic solutions for timber structures, the laying and choice of membranes and the correct taping. The training on construction site will be completed by lectures to fully understand the subject and also dominate the theory.
- 2 overnight stays in a hotel for the night before the course start and the night between the first and second day of the course (the organization and management of contacts with the hotels is the responsibility of Rothoblaas). It is possible to request one or more additional nights not included in the price.
- Breakfast and lunch for both days (one dinner is organized by Rothoblaas, but it is not included in the price).
• Ing. Matteo Andreottola - Rothoblaas
• Arch. Chiara Santamaria - Rothoblaas
• Ing. Steffen Uphoff - Rothoblaas
• Ing. Alessio Maffeo - Rothoblaas
• Ing. Marius Soflete
• Ing. Uwe Amplatz
• Ing. Jens Hackethal